DISCUSS WITH THE GROUP: THE TRUTH ABOUT OUR TEMPTATIONS
Truth # 1. We all have temptations that lead to sin in our lives.
- READ James 1:13-15. Temptation begins with an evil thought. What can happen when we dwell on an evil thought too long?
Truth # 2. We are too weak to handle temptations on our own.
- READ Hebrews 12:1-2. What are some ways that temptation hinders us? What are some ways that you can fix your eyes on Jesus when you are tempted to sin?
Truth # 3. We need God to lead us away from our temptations.
- READ 2 Timothy 2:22. Removing ourselves physically from temptation can be the most courageous action to take. What does this passage say to do? Discuss some of the ways that you have had to “flee” from temptation?
The Consequences of our Temptations
- There are CONSEQUENCES for our sins! Caleb shared some stories of the consequences of sins. All of these sins began with a temptation. Have you ever hurt someone else because you fell into a temptation? If comfortable, share.
The Hope of our Temptations
- God is not calling us away from temptation because He cannot forgive us our sins. READ Ephesians 1:7. Redemption was the price paid to gain freedom of a slave (Leviticus 25:47-49). What does Jesus’ death offer us?
- READ Psalm 40:2 and Acts 13:38-39. This is the Good News of the gospel: that forgiveness of sins is available through faith in Christ to all people--including you. Do you ever have trouble believing your sins are truly forgiven? Why/Why not?
Lead Us Not Into Temptation, But Deliver Us From the Evil One
We live in a culture filled with sin-inducing pressure, and we need God's help with our temptations. READ 1 Corinthians 10:13. List the promises in this passage.